What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on our site, complete the interview, update your profile and account, or interact with other members via groups, private messages, stream posts and so forth.
When registering on our site, as appropriate, you will be
- Required to enter your:
- Full name -- though only your first name and last initial will be shared
- Birthday -- though your birthday will only be visible to you, your age will be visible to others by default, but can be restricted as well
- E-mail address
- A photo of yourself
- Asked to enter your:
- Health information -- conditions, symptoms, treatments, causes etc.
- Lifestyle information -- diet, exercise, religion etc.
- Location -- City, State or City, Country
- Other information relevant to connecting you with others having a similar health experience
Who will be able to see my profile information
Our goal is to carefully balance the desire people have to connect with and learn from each other, and the necessity of keeping personal health information closely protected. To that end, we have the following practices:
- Information associated with your identity is only available on Feelalike to authenticated
Feelalike members. We do not allow 3rd party websites to crawl, index, harvest,
share or disseminate our data (e.g. Feelalike is not Google searchable)
- The following profile and account information is only visible to you and is not
shared with other members: full last name, email address, and birthday
- The following profile information is visible to all Feelalike members: first name,
last initial, profile picture, and your gender. If you are not comfortable with
sharing this information, we respectfully recommend that you not use our site.
- You can set the visibility for all other profile attributes (age, conditions and
associated treatments, symptoms, causes, lifestyle etc.) to a level you are comfortable
with, the following are our current options:
- Feelalike Members
- Only Me
- NOTE: This visibility setting only applies to people being able to see attributes
in a state that is associated with your profile (i.e. your name, picture, and stream
posts). It does not apply to anonymized data as discussed below.
- As a part of our goal to aid in the sharing of health information, he following profile attributes
will be anonymized and shared publicly:
- Condition names
- Symptom names
- Cause names
- Treatment names with associated ratings and reviews
- NOTE: Feelalike reserves the right to aggregate and organize this information in
any way we, in our sole discretion, determine. Our guarantee to our members is that
the information will be anonymized.
- Also as a part of our goal to facilitate the process of shared learning, Feelalike
reserves the right to publicly display other anonymized elements of a member's health
profile such as age, weight, diet etc.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience
- E.g. Recommend people and groups that are relevant to you.
- To improve our website
- E.g. Tailor new features according to the information and feedback we receive from you
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature in the future
- E.g. We may contact you with questions for people with a particular condition.
- To send periodic or event related emails
- By default we will email you when someone sends you a connection request, accepts your connection request, posts to your stream, or sends you a private message. Other notifications may be added as necessary. You can always disable these notifications in your Account-> Notifications section.
- During our Beta release, there may be few other members with a similar health experiences. We may send email updates when other users matching your profile join the site or to alert you to new information (treatments, condition communities) that may be relevant to you.
- The email address you provide may be used to send you information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
We believe there is a special place in hell reserved for spammers and do not intend to go there ourselves. We also will never sell or transfer your email address to any third party unless required to by law, or unless the transfer is governed by an agreement that restricts the use of the email address by the third party so that it is in compliance with our guidelines.
How do we protect your information?
Your privacy is a primary concern for us at Feelalike. We take it very seriously and have implemented a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information while using Feelalike.
For all areas of the site where sensitive information is accessed or entered we use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to encrypt and securely transmit said information. Areas where SSL technology is used include: the login and registrations screens and areas of the site where your full name and other personally identifiable information are transmitted. Most of the socializing and sharing on Feelalike is transmitted in the clear (unencrypted) since it is not associated with personally identifiable information. We therefore recommend against sharing your birthday, full name, email addresses etc. with other members on Feelalike, but allow members to do so at their own discretion.
Your password is stored on our internal databases using a hashing mechanism that allows us to authenticate you, but does not allow us to see, recover, or regenerate your password by anyone at Feelalike. For this reason, if you forget your password it will need to be reset. Personally identifiable information is only accessible by those within Feelalike that are authorized with special access rights to such systems and have agreed to keep the information confidential in accordance with company policy. It is the policy of Feelalike, LLC to aggressively pursue and seek damages from any person internal or external to Feelalike that behaves in violation of this policy.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser (if you have cookies enabled). This allows our site to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information like your status as an authenticated member and preferences for future visits.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not, and never will, sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties beyond our control your personally identifiable information (subject to the exceptions outlined below). In the future we do reserve the right to disclose information to trusted third parties who may assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree in writing to keep this information confidential.
We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses. For example, we may release the number of people reporting having a specific condition, or the average rating of a particular treatment.
Third party links
The social tools of our site (groups, streams, private messages etc.) allow members to post third party links. In the future Feelalike reserves the right to advertise, link to, or otherwise recommend third party products or services on our website at our discretion. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of any linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites and will do our best to remove links found to be objectionable.
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Because we value your privacy we have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent.
As part of the California Online Privacy Protection Act, all members of our site may make any changes to their information at anytime by logging into their account, hovering over their profile picture and selecting 'Edit Profile'.
Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act). We do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.
Terms and Conditions
Please also visit our Terms and Conditions section establishing the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of our website at http://feelalike.com
This policy was last modified on August 28th, 2012